Goodbye February

I was tired before I left for D.C. with a bunch of eighth-graders, so when I got home at 2:30am (Tuesday? Wednesday?) I was exhausted. I took Wednesday off–three hours of sleep would have been wholly insufficient–and then went to work Thursday and Friday, but by Friday night I was so tired, I knew getting up at 6:15 the next morning to go out to Rogue wasn’t in the cards. Instead I planned to run from my house whenever I got up. Turns out, I slept for about 11 hours.

Overnight, temperatures fell below freezing, and since it had been raining or drizzling since the evening before, things were icy, at least in places. Cars and mailboxes had an icy coating, but the driveway and street appeared to be just wet. So I dug out my gloves and fuzzy headband and headed out. I wanted to run six miles–I’d successfully run four and five miles the last two weekends, but with a ten-mile race looming at the end of March, I wanted to bump my mileage a little.

The temperature after I got  home from 6.4 miles

The temperature after I got home from 6.4 miles

My street is asphalt with no sidewalks, and I figured even if there was ice, the rough surface would help me maintain traction. But for the 1.5 miles or so that I ran before crossing into the other neighborhood, I didn’t encounter any ice. Just wind and drizzle, plus a fire truck and an ambulance and two other runners.

For most of my run to the high school and around the block, I ran in the bike lane on the asphalt. I slipped on a small patch of ice one time, but other than that, the roads were indeed just wet.

I started to feel tired around the four-mile mark, and I took a couple of walk breaks. But I couldn’t slow for too long because I got cold pretty fast that way. My legs were numb, but fortunately my calf didn’t hurt.

Icy tree

Icy tree

Once I crossed back into my neighborhood, it was mostly downhill. Not too many people were out and about, although I did see a herd of goats wandering in the dry creekbed. Icicles dangled from house eaves and parked cars still had that icy coating. I’m not sure what the temperature was when I started, but it was 30* when I finished.

I pretty much ran a positive split (reverse negative split?) today, slower every mile, but I’m okay with that. It was my longest pain-free run in a long time, so I’m starting to feel confident that I’m back on-track.

Incidentally, my original plan had been to run in the early afternoon when M and B went to lacrosse practice. But practice was canceled so I went earlier. Turns out I made a good call there–even though it’s a few degrees warmer now, the drizzle has turned to real rain. After going out for tacos, I’m content to sit in front of the fireplace watching Netflix knowing I’ve completed my run for the day.

Home sweet home

Home sweet home

Even so, February has been exhausting and I’m not sad to see it go. I’m hopeful that March will bring a fresh start, injury-free. And maybe just a liiiiitle warmer too.


2 thoughts on “Goodbye February

Comments are closed.