Huge thank you to Emma from Gaining Pace for passing on the Liebster Award to me. As I understand it, bloggers recommend other blogs (generally those with smaller followings) as a way to share blogs they like with a larger audience. I’m honored to be included!
One component, at least in some versions of the Liebster award, is the
airing of grievances listing of 11 random facts about me. So here goes:
- My left pinkie finger is significantly shorter than my right. Both are useless for typing.
- It takes me hours to write my blog posts because I obsess over every sentence. I started this post on Thursday at lunchtime. Gah.
- I’m useless in the kitchen. My appliances have to be dusted, but I suck at housework too.
- Every car I’ve ever owned has been a stick shift.
- When my family moved from Virginia to Texas, we fulfilled every Texas stereotype by immediately buying a horse. But no, I didn’t ride it to school.
- Seventeen years as a middle school teacher and I am an expert at tossing out The Glare. And then I crack up.
- I’m wordy.
- I have too many pet peeves to list here. But most of them involve grammar and driving.
- I can speak in front of seventh-graders all day long, but Parent Night makes me nervous.
- I can remember song lyrics from 1986 but can’t remember why I came into this room.
- I don’t understand why people don’t love Peeps. Stale ones are the best.
My answers to the questions asked by Gaining Pace:
- What is your proudest moment and why? I have a few, for different reasons. I teach 7th grade English, and one professional accomplishment–earning National Board Certification–was the result of more than a year of hard work. And finishing my first half-marathon in November told me that I could put my mind and body toward a goal and achieve it. It was harder than childbirth–and I got a medal. 😉
- What would you never do and why? Skydive. I don’t even like those rides at Six Flags where you drop straight down for 10 stories, or whatever. There’s no way I’m gonna jump out of a plane that’s gonna land in a minute.
- Why do you (or don’t you) run? Right now, my vision is very short-term. I run to train for a May 19 half marathon, my third race at that distance. But beyond that, I guess I’ve stuck with it for fitness reasons, and because I have a blast at races (or at least AFTER races). And I want to set a good example for my kid.
- What makes you want to read someone else’s blog? I was an English major–I’m a sucker for a funny writing voice and clever use of language. I’m not talking perfect Queen’s English, necessarily, but something well-written, articulate, and/or full of self-deprecating humor will get my attention. Pictures help too.
- What is your simple pleasure? Driving with the sunroof open and the radio blasting.
- What would you want with you if you were stranded on a desert island? Ignoring the obvious sanitation requirements for a second, I’d start with wi-fi. Fizzy lime water. My iPad and Kindle. Sunscreen. My pillow. Did I mention wi-fi???
- If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be, and why? Something with cheese, like enchiladas del mar. I love cheese. Cheese mixed with seafood is nirvana. I went to Switzerland years ago, and I was surrounded by cheese, chocolate, and bread. The whole village of Gruyere smells like cheese. If I lived there, I’d weigh 5069696 pounds.
- What song would make you get up and dance? “Don’t Stop Believing” by Journey. Although I once was part of a flash mob that performed to “Thriller” so clearly I am not limited to one song.
- What is the worst job you have ever done? I worked retail in college. It was hard.
- Where would you love to go on holiday, and why? I love to travel! I want to see Australia, and parts of Asia, and the South Pacific, and and and London is my favorite city on earth, so I always want to go there again.
- To which charity did you last donate, and why? Capital Food Bank of Austin. They provide such an important service–no one can do anything if they’re hungry.
Five blogs I enjoy and wish to nominate to carry the Liebster torch:
Go read them!
Annnnnd my questions for y’all:
- Obviously I follow lots of blogs about running, as that’s something you all have in common. What else is important in your life?
- What is your favorite distance, and why?
- Do you listen to anything while you run? Music, podcasts, nature, the voices in your head?
- What would be the title of your autobiography?
- If you could give advice to your 18-year old self, what would you say?
- What’s one gadget you can’t live without, and why?
- And what’s an old-school, analog, throwback thing you still love to do or use?
- Describe your favorite meal at a favorite restaurant.
- When’s the last time you did something outside your comfort zone? How’d it go?
- What’s your favorite thing about where you live? Least favorite?
- Tell me about some good news you got recently.
Based on my
half-assed thorough efforts at Googling researching the rules of this award, I think I’ve covered everything. Thanks again to Emma from Gaining Pace for nominating me! Go read her blog, and the ones she recommended as well!